Our Pediatric SANE (Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner) offers specialized medical examinations and services at no charge to children who present with concerns or disclosures of sexual abuse and exploitation. These services are delivered in a compassionate, coordinated, and comprehensive manner that is responsive to the child's developmental, physical, emotional, and cultural needs. The Pediatric SANE's services are available at the Middlesex CAC in Woburn.
The purpose of the exam is to:
- Ensure the health and well-being of your child
- Diagnose and treat medical conditions that may be related to the abuse
- Reassure your child that everything is okay with their body
- Document any significant physical and forensic findings
- Allow for the collection of evidence that may be present on your child’s body or clothing if reported in the age-relevant timeframe
Pediatric SANEs are specially trained and certified by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to perform quality forensic medicolegal exams. Children who cannot be seen by the Pediatric SANE at the Middlesex CAC are referred to community hospitals for medical evaluation and forensic evidence collection.